As of July 4, 2011, most of my blogs are on indefinite sabbatical, but you can still keep up with me on Twitter, my writing and Florida blogs, and JSH News!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Hungarian Caipirinha


What happens when the unstoppable force of Brazil's Cachaça meets the unmovable object of Hungary's Zwack?

It didn't sound very good, but I had to find out.

Unfortunately, in my attempts to add Zwack to a traditional Caipirinha, I found that lime juice simply ruins the Zwack, even if it's just a few drops. They just don't get along.

(And then I wondered - why there isn't a snooty fine liqueur that does for lime what Cointreau does for orange? Did a quick Google search and discovered that yes, there are such products, but I've never heard of any of them. Will get back to y'all on this. Look for a redux of this recipe in the future.)

So, forget the lime juice. As the plastic surgeon said to the Joker, let's see how we did:


2 parts Zwack
1 part Cachaça (Dark or Gold type)
5 dashes of Angostura Bitters

Shake well.
Chill in shaker in freezer for a few minutes.
Reshake and quickly pour into shots.


I chose Ypioca Gold as my Cachaça of choice specifically because it's the funkiest, bitterest brand out there with a psychoactive whap-a-dang that perfectly matches the Zwack that those crazy Hungarians have wrought, God bless 'em. Bela Lugosi, thou art avenged.

Keep it Zwacky. Let the Zwack dominate the formula and you can't do wrong. The Cachaça pipes up and makes its presence known in such a loud shrill voice that one might even make it 3 parts Zwack to 1 part Cachaça and still come out alright. For perversity's sake, I added several shakes of Angostura Bitters, which is a bit like coals to Newcastle here but what the hey.

I suspect what it really needs to push it over and to make the Hungary-Brazil fusion fair and balanced, however, is Lluvia de Estrella Lime Tequila liqueur. I'll let ye know.

No comments:

Post a Comment