As of July 4, 2011, most of my blogs are on indefinite sabbatical, but you can still keep up with me on Twitter, my writing and Florida blogs, and JSH News!

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Kraken Black Spiced Rum


For some time now, there's been a bottle on the shelf behind the bar at Havana Rumba that keeps catching my eye. Kraken Black Spiced Rum, they call it. Exquisite retro-steampunk-pirate packaging, right down to an authentically antiquey bottle with raised lettering and fingerloops at the base of the neck. The label bears the image of an old-timey giant octopus or squid, right out of Jules Verne. What's not to love?

Well, as it turns out, nothing. I recently had the good fortune to sample a Kraken Pina Colada at Havana Rumba and was bowled over as if I'd been mauled by the giant squid. This is clearly no ordinary rum, friends. Hoist up the John B's sails, see how the main sail sets.

Though dark rums are generally not used in a Mojito, I'm thinkin' about getting one specially-made next time I'm propping up the bar there and hearing the siren-song of the mighty and mysterious Kraken.

The first thing you notice about the stuff is that it's not just dark, it's black. I mean black. Black as pitch, black as night, black as coal or Coca-Cola. I don't know whether or not they chose the squid motif because the rum itself resembles squid ink, but it's a charming thought, isn't it?

It's 94 proof, which really makes me wish I'd gotten to try a shot of it straight without all the Pina and the Colada, tasty though that was. I'll probably score a bottle of it soon anyway and start contriving some seaworthy recipes for it.

Tell Captain Morgan we won't be needing his services anymore, thanks.

2 comments:

  1. I Luvs me some rum! I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...finally tried it...all I can say is move over Captain, you've been replaced!

    ReplyDelete